Lighten Skin Naturally with These Proven 15 Treatments
The trend use to be that the tanner your skin was the healthier you looked. You know that deep, golden brown, french fry, look. If your skin was white and pale it meant you were sickly and you haven’t been out in the sun very much. Then tanning parlors came into vogue and at the switch of a lamp you could have instant suntan. But people who went to suntan parlors you could tell they had sat under an ultraviolet light. The color of their skin was too brown and it didn’t look natural. Then you have those people who tan naturally just walking out in the shine. Their pigmentation is prone to turn dark and brown naturally. We envied those people who could look out the window at the sun and get a suntan. Then came the big cancer scare don’t bathe to long in the sun you may get skin cancer or some other type of skin disease. Yes, these warnings should be taken seriously but you can get protection for your skin Use a strong sun block and spend a reasonable amount of time in the great outdoors.
The pendulum for sun tanning may be swinging to the opposite end of the universe. Now, it seems like people want to lighten their skin and make it look lighter than darker. So, on this note let’s investigate 15 ways we can lighten our skin.
- 1 1.) Use Some Common Sense under the Sun
- 2 2.) Exfoliate the Skin
- 3 3.) Have realistic expectations
- 4 4.) Try a Lemon Lightening Treatment
- 5 5.) Potato Rub for Lighter Skin
- 6 6.) Use Turmeric Paste for Skin Lightening
- 7 7.) Glowing Orange Juice to Tone Down the Skin
- 8 8.) Kojic that Dark Tone Away
- 9 9.) Classic Almond Oil
- 10 10.) Milk, Lemon Juice and Honey an odd Mixture
- 11 11.) Dried Orange Peels And Yogurt:
- 12 12.) Oatmeal and Sugar the Sweet Mix
- 13 13.) Wow Almonds and Milk
- 14 14.) The Big Three
- 15 15.) A Unique Facial Mask
- 16 That’s It
This would involve change your routine when you decide to sunbath on a hot summer day. The normal darkening and discoloration of the skin is due to exposure to the sun’s ultraviolet rays. So, if this is a concern to you and you want to keep your skin lighter than stay indoors more often. If you cannot due this than use a sunblock with minimum SPF of 30 which will protect your skin from the UV rays of the sun.
- Dermatologists agree that a sun block with a rating of SPF 15 is no longer strong enough to protect the skin from the sun’s harmful va rays. You need something stronger than thi. You need to protect 98% or more of your skin from the sun to be safe.
- Wear a hat when you are outside. This will certainly protect your face from the sun.There are numerous cutting edge hats on the market today and you just may be a trend setter while protecting your skin.
- Sun block will completely block the uv rays of the sun which will prevent tanning.
- Sunscreen filters the UV rays of the sun allowing tanning but blocking sunburn
2.) Exfoliate the Skin
Exfoliate (is the shedding of the skin in layers from its surface) the skin manually will help to lighten the skin. But keep in mind the skin to be exfoliated ust be suntanned skin which will be darker than the normal tone of the skin. Getting rid of dead skin cells will reveal new skin not colored by the sun.
- You can exfoliate the skin manually by using a body scrub or face wash with exfoliating particles.
- You can make your own by adding a teaspoon of ground almonds or oatmeal to your regular cleanser
- Using a scrub brush or dry brush is a great way exfoliate skin from the entire body. For the face use a brush with softer bristles to protect the soft skin there.
- You can purchase an exfoliating machine like, Clarisonic, that will dig deeper by removing the entire top layer of the skin.
3.) Have realistic expectations
Skin that is naturally dark will only get a shade or two lighter and that will take some effort even by using natural means. The best ways to keep the skin lightened is by exfoliating the skin, staying out of the sun, and if you have to go out in the sun protect the skin. Consistency is the key to keeping the skin a lighter shade.
4.) Try a Lemon Lightening Treatment
It is claimed that lemon juice is a powerful skin lightener because it contains alpha-hydroxy acids (AHA). These acids act as a natural skin exfoliant taking off the top layer of the skin. The citric acid in lemon juice also creates a light bleaching effect. (like it does in the hair) You can also bath in lemon juice rinse which will leave your complexion looking lighter for a fairer complexion.
- Squeeze the juice from half a lemon and add the same amount of water to the lemon juice. You want to dilute the lemon juice so it won’t irritate the skin or get it too sticky.
- Dip a cotton ball in the mixture and apply it to the neck, face, chest, and arms and anywhere else you want the skin to be lighter.
- Let the rinse sit on the face for 20 minutes, then rinse it off with warm water. Don’t go outside the lemon juice will cause your skin to be sensitive to sunlight.
- Apply moisturizer after the treatment because lemon juice can dry out the skin.
- Repeat the treatment 3 times a week but no more than that because lemon juice will irritate the skin if used excessively.
Using lemon juice is an effectual skin lightening treatment but there seems to be some minor side effects from it. You cannot go out in the sun after using the treatment because it will make the skin sensitive. Also, it will irritate the skin if is used more than 3 times a week. Plus using lemon juice just routinely will dry out the skin.
5.) Potato Rub for Lighter Skin
This sounds like a really odd skin lightening treatment. But supposedly if you rub potatoes on the skin it will lighten it. Potatoes contain a high amount of vitamin C. Vitamin C is an ingredient many skin lightening cleansers contain. If you don’t have a potato handy you can try a tomato or a cucumber because they too contain vitamin C. You can get good results by applying the potato directly to the skin. Several times a week apply this treatment:
- Cut the potato into thick slices
- Rub the slices over the areas of skin you wish to lighten
- Let the moisture dry completely then rinse the moisture off with warm water
6.) Use Turmeric Paste for Skin Lightening
An Indian spice has been used to lighten skin for centuries. It’s believed to inhibit melanin which darkens the color of the skin. This could be historically inaccurate. There is no hard scientific support to verify this claim. Despite this questionable claim people have been happy with the results turmeric powder has had in lightening the skin. Do the following to make turmeric powder:
- Mix turmeric with enough olive oil to make a paste.
- Apply it to your skin and spread it thinly over the areas you want to lighten.
- Leave it to sit for 20 minutes, then rinse it away with warm water.
Turmeric powder may yellow the skin but a quick rinsing with a water should remove the yellow color.
Orange juice has plenty of vitamin C and as we mentioned before vitamin C can help lighten the skin. Plus oranges have bleaching factors that can make the skin whiter and brighter faster.
This method for using orange juice is to combine one pinch of turmeric powder to two tablespoons of orange jue to make a paste. Apply this paste to your face and skin before bedtime. You can also rub the paste on the hands and legs as well. Leave the paste on overnight and then in the morning rinse it off with water.
8.) Kojic that Dark Tone Away
Kojic acid is another recommended natural treatment to lighten the skin. It’s derived from mushrooms and other fungi. This natural compound is also made from rice cake or rice wine. It is very good for the skin and will lighten the skin in a safe and natural way. Kojic inhibits tyrosinase activity (Tyrosinase is a copper-containing enzyme present in plant and animal tissues that catalyzes the production of melanin and other pigments from tyrosine by oxidation, as in the blackening of a peeled or sliced potato exposed to air. It is found inside melanosomes which are synthesised in the skin melanocytes.) (This is the exact definition taken from this website. ) which will stop the production of melanin production in the top layer of the skin. This will prevent the skin from becoming a darker tone. There will be no harmful side effects and this treatment originated from Japan. It’s highly recommended in the beauty industry.
- Regular gel or lotion or cream
- Kojic acid – 1/2 to 1 teaspoon
How to make and Apply:
- First and foremost, you need to use clean water to rinse your face and neck carefully using a gentle face wash or a mild soap.
- Get the prepared kojic acid and add it to the gels that you regularly use. You can also make use of lotions and creams instead for the same results.
- Stir the mixture well and use it to thoroughly apply right onto your neck and facial skin and let it stay for a while.
- Repeat this tip 2 times per day every day within or 1- 2 months.
- You should note that the kojic acid, in contrast, can also lead to some skin rashes and irritation particularly for those having thin, sensitive skin. It would be best for you and also very necessary to get a patch test before applying kojic acid onto the skin in order to eliminate the skin’s burning sensation.
9.) Classic Almond Oil
Almond oil contains many whitening compounds including vitamins E, B6, B2, PO (PP could be known as vitamin B3 or niacin), minerals, phytosterols, and unsaturated fatty acids. Niacinamide is one of niacin’s active agents. It will help make the skin whiter and prevent darker skin pigmentation from developing.
- Tissue paper
- Hot water
- Bigger bowl
- Steel bowl
- Almond oil
How To Make And Apply:
- Take and heat a proper amount of sweet almond oil to make it warm with an indirect heat source.
- To warm almond oil, you will need to pour this oil in a steel bowl and then put the bowl into a bigger bowl which is filled with water (hot).
- Let it stay for about 5 minutes and then take out the oil steel bowl
- Pour a sufficient amount of the oil to your hands and rub your hands with oil onto your legs, back, neck, and face.
- Gently massage your skin with the almond oil within about ten to fifteen minutes before taking a tissue to eliminate the excessive oil from the skin area you apply the oil.
- This method is actually very simple yet brings about great results as desired if it is properly and frequently applied the right way on every night before your bedtime.
- Apply this tip for fifteen nights continuously before reducing it to two to three times weekly and continue to do this up to you reach once every week to get how to make your skin lighter quickly.
10.) Milk, Lemon Juice and Honey an odd Mixture
Another effective skin lightening treatment
- Lemon Juice
How To Make And Apply:
- Take and mix 1 tsp. each of lemon juice with honey and milk powder (or milk).
- You should apply this facial mask all over your skin after being cleaned and let it stay for about fifteen to twenty minutes before washing your skin off. It will also make your skin much softer and smoother.
11.) Dried Orange Peels And Yogurt:
We discussed an alternate method briefly above. It used the same type of ingredients as this one will.
How To Make And Apply:
- Grind dried orange peels to make a smooth powder, then mix 1 tablespoon of the orange peel powder with 1 tablespoon of unflavored, fresh yogurt to create a paste.
- Use this mixture to apply onto your skin and let it stay on your kin for about fifteen to twenty minutes before using cool water to rinse it off.
12.) Oatmeal and Sugar the Sweet Mix
You can make a face mask from these two ingredients and apply it to the face to lighten the skin.
- 3 Tablespoons of sugar
- One handful of oatmeal
How to make and Apply:
- Mix these two ingredients with lemon juice
- Once you have a paste (a coarse paste) apply it directly to the face
- Rub it on the face and neck
- Rinse it off with water
13.) Wow Almonds and Milk
This is not to be treated as a snack. This is a very common but effective skin lightening treatment
- Some milk
How to Apply and Make:
- Grind the almonds into a powder form
- Mix the almond powder and milk together into a paste
- Apply the paste directly to the face
- Use this treatment daily for best results
14.) The Big Three
This bizarre treatment calls for tomato, yogurt, and oatmeal again. But it’s supposed to lighten the skin effectively.
- Tomato juice
Apply and Make it:
- Mix yogurt with one tablespoon of oatmeal and tomato juice
- Mix these ingredients well until you make a thick paste
- Apply the paste as a face mask
- Let it sit on the face for 30 minutes
- Wash off thoroughly with warm water
15.) A Unique Facial Mask
This treatment calls for coriander leaves and tomatoes which is a wonderful face mask to help whiten the skin. It’s wonderful for people with oily or dry skin. It is a wonderful facial mask that may bring some wondrous results.
- Coriander leaves
- Tomato Juice
How to Apply and Make it:
- Mix two teaspoons of juice extracted from coriander leaves with two teaspoons of tomato juice
- Add one teaspoon of lemon juice and fuller’s earth
- Make a this paste of the ingredients
- Apply the facial mask and leave it on for twenty minutes
- Rinse off thoroughly with hot water
We have come to the end of the great treatise on how to lighten the skin using 15 healthy and efficient ways to lighten the skin. We have talked about a range of applications you can use to lighten the skin and prevent the skin from tanning. One method we called out in this article may actually stop the production of melanin in the skin. This will effectively stop the skin tone from becoming darker. Another method will quickly remove skin spots and marks by lightening them. One suggestion if you want to tan your skin but a slower rate was to use sunblock which will block the sun’s UV rays from tanning the skin. Generally speaking though the treatments will use natural ingredients that when applied properly will naturally lighten the skin. You can also manually exfoliate existing dead skin to reveal new, lighter layers of skin underneath. There are unlimited techniques available to lighten the skin safely and naturally. Find the right one for you!