In this article, we are going to put Hydroxycut under the microscope. We will dissect the reviews to see if they are really right or if they are really wrong. Apparently, Hydroxycut is the next wonder weight loss and muscle building phenomenon. It will help you take off those pounds and replace them with rippling muscle. Can you get that chiseled, muscular look you have always dreamed of? By taking Hydroxycut supplements and nothing else? Are the reviews ranting about this product true or they just hype? We want a product that will deliver what it says it will deliver. If, we are going to spend money than the product must come through.
Hydroxycut is a brand of dietary supplement marketed as a weight loss aid. MuscleTech Research and Development originally developed and marketed the product. The company was sold to lovate Health sciences in 2003-2004 but declared bankruptcy in 2005. Lovate continues Muscle Tech as a brand to manufacture Hydroxycut. Since 2013 the ingredients have been: caffeine, lady’s mantle extract, wild olive extract, cumin extract, wild mint extract, and in some products green coffee bean extract. It also contains Vitamin C and other minor ingredients. The earlier ingredients of Hydroxycut were swirling in controversy. In 2004, it contained ephedra which the FDA banned in the same year. This was also before the 2004 reformulation. In 2009, they had a another reformulation but at that time many of their formulations were dangerous to the liver. There were a series of medical reports stating that Hydroxycut caused serious liver problems including death. The FDA warned customers to stop using Hydroxycut and lovate agreed to voluntarily recall the products. The harm caused by Hydroxycut called for stricter regulation of the dietary supplement industry. The industry has also been called on the carpet to use much stricter safety testing procedures. Hydroxycut was reformulated in 2009. There has been two reformulations of the product since its inception in 2003-2004.
Hydroxycut has been available for over a decade and the product has had its share of troubles including the death of a person and 70 lawsuits. It was also tied to serious liver conditions in some people. The product comes in gummies, pills, tablets and shakes. They make a product called Hydroxycut Hardcore which contains green coffee bean extract, yohimbine, and a greater measure of caffeine. Caffeine is also the most potent ingredient in Hydroxycut. The product is supposed to use a combination of ingredients that blend causing weight loss. Caffeine is reported to boost the metabolism 3-11%, and enhance fat burning by 10-29%. These are short term effects and caffeine is highly addictive.
There are no scientific studies to support that caffeine is a long-term weight reducer. There are no scientific studies that tested the active ingredients of the other herbal ingredients in Hydroxycut on an individual basis. There was a study conducted on these four herbs together: Lady’s Mantle extract, Wild Olive extract, Komijn extract and Wild mint extract. The researchers blended these four extracts together. They gave these combination of extracts to chickens and rats. The chickens loss weight by 20% and the metabolism rate was highly
increased in the rats. Both classes of animals were given large doses of the extracts.
The results of this study contain be taken seriously because how the extracts affect the animals will not react the same in humans. So the results should be taken with a grain of salt. The final result of this study is that caffeine increase metabolism therefore reduce weight. Also, these extract ingredients can be shown to boost the metabolism in rats and increase weight loss in chicken.
The fact is that there has never been a study conducted on humans with hydroxycut itself. But there was a study conducted on humans using the four active herbal ingredients used in Hydroxycut. The study was a randomized double-blind, placebo-controlled trial using 34 overweight/obese human volunteers. The volunteers either took the extract or the placebo (dummy pill) ½ hour before every meal. (this was three meals a day. The study went on for 12 weeks and the volunteers were told don’t exercise or diet.They were asked to eat only 3 meals a day without snacking in between.
The results were the herbal group lost 21lbs. (They went from obese to overweight.) And their body mass index went from 31to 28. The Placebo group lost 1.8lbs and their body mass index didn’t change at all. The study showed no adverse side effects from the herbal ingredients in that particular group. It also led to significant weight loss in this group. Hydroxycut ran with this study and focused on the study results in their main marketing drive. This study has put the “stamp of approval” on their product. The only problem with this result is that this is only one small study reflecting these weight loss changes.
Hydroxy Hardcore Review
There are no studies that have been done on the product as a whole. But the individual ingredients have been studied. Numerous studies have been conducted using the main ingredient Green Coffee Bean extract. The studies have resulted in mixed results. Some concluded weight loss was achieved others resulted in no effect. The other main ingredients Yohimbine and Cayenne pepper have been studied. The results neither main ingredient influenced in weight loss in the studies.
As mentioned previously there has been no studies done on the ingredients in Hydroxy Hardcore as a whole. But individually the ingredients have been tested and showed promise of some weight loss. But other studies conducted showed they had no effect on weight loss. This is the current bottom line for Hydroxycut Hardcore.
Hydroxycut is it Worth it
Hydroxy has been known to be toxic in some cases. As we said at the top of the article it used to be cut with Ephedra a powerful stimulant. It was banned by the FDA because it caused 155 deaths (it is believed) by supplements containing Ephedra including Hydroxycut.
Then along comes 2009 and Hydroxycut was recalled because many cases of hepatotoxicity (liver poisoning was reported) along with other serious adverse side effects. The product was reintroduced to the market in 2010. This time the product was made from a new formula. All the trouble sprang from earlier formulas. This being said there have been reports of serious side effects even with this new formulation. One such case may be found on http://pubmedcentralcanada.ca/pmcc/articles/PMC3118021/. There have been many reports of serious side effects from using this dietary supplement and there hasn’t been a lot of scientific research to support it works in weight reduction. To the contrary, some tests have shown it really doesn’t work. The current formulation which has higher concentrations of caffeine has been known to cause the following side effects: insomnia, diarrhea, jitteriness, nausea, anxiety, and other related symptoms related to a high intake of caffeine. Blood pressure has been known to elevate with high levels of caffeine consumption.
What about the Dosage
Another warning is to make sure when taking this dietary supplement that the dosage is carefully regulated. The higher the dose of Hydroxycut taken the worse the side effects are bound to be. So, it is recommended that the start people take 1 tablet three times a day then gradually work up to 2tablets 4 times a day. It has been suggested to not even take Hydroxycut because of its lethal history. But remember the dosage quantity will vary from product to product. People who are sensitive to caffeine should avoid this dietary supplement product. It can become addictive because of the caffeine in it. Never exceed the recommended dosage of these products. Hydroxy Hardcore contains higher amounts of caffeine so it might be wise to cycle the use of this dietary supplement. (try 4 weeks on and then 4 weeks off) In this way, you can avoid the risk of becoming addicted to it.
The One Million Dollar Question: Should Hydroxycut be used
If you do any intensive internet surfing on Hydroxycut you will find in forums,message boards, reviews and other sites that for every person it works for five will say it doesn’t work. With that type of negative feedback you have to begin to think if the quality of Hydroxycut is really that good. It may be that hydroxycut is a good short term fat burning tool but the long term picture may be in question.
- This review has nothing but praise for hydroxycut because the consumer said she lost 90 lbs. Using the product. She noticed that her weight loss rate decreased when she stopped taking the dietary supplement. Once she returned to using it the pounds started coming off easily.
- This consumer heard about hydroxycut from the mother. The mother had lost a ton of weight using this product. So this lady had tipped the scales at 300 lbs. This being the heaviest she has ever weighed. She was depressed because she just had a baby 8 months prior to this weight gain. She never carried that type of weight while she was pregnant. She started taking hydroxycut and her energy level increased and her appetite decreased. She lost 6 lbs right away.
- Another consumer said she tried hydroxycut and in five days lost about 8 lbs. She is thrilled about her weight loss and strongly advocates the success of this product. She believed she could get down to 125lbs. in another month. She started in April. This review was written in 2013. She says she had no side effects but she qualified this statement by saying it depends on the person taking the supplement. Apparently, she was aware of the side effects this product could cause.
- This person first took hydroxycut in 2006 at the age of 16. She lost 24lbs. While intermittently taking the product for 3 months. She started taking the product again when this review was written. She says she lost 5 lbs. In less than a week. She wanted to get down to 148 lbs. (at the time of this review being written). She wanted to stop taking this product and switch over to green tea pills then finally to multi-vitamins. She planned on taking hydroxycut for 2-3 months. This says that her priority to lose weight isn’t by using hydroxycut. So it must be taken into consideration whether she really liked the product or not.
- This review was written by a mom. She writes that she started taking hydroxycut on a Monday and the following Monday she lost 8 lbs. But she said she regulated her sugar intake during the week and she also worked out. She did say she took the product 10 years ago (this was at the time of her review being written) and she lost 50-60 lbs. During that time because of the caffeine she suffered some side effects. This latest round she said she had no side effects and she lost the weight at a quicker rate than ten years ago.
- This short review says client lost 3.5 lbs in two weeks.
- So, the suggested weight loss from person to person varies. It depends on whether they were eating healthy and exercising to supplement the hydroxycut. It appears those who were working out and eating healthy loss weight faster in a shorter time. These variables may skew whether hydroxycut is an effective weight loss agent or not. The last review said the person lost 3.5 lbs in two weeks. Was this person Taking this product only to lose weight. The other cases where the consumers loss weight at quicker rates they were eating right and working out. So did these supplemental activities quicken the weight loss rate?
- This was a recent review written in June of 2016. In it the consumer says she lost 9lbs in about 8 days. She has been cutting back food portions which augmented the weight loss. She will begin to work out as well which will further increase the weight loss. Again, she is losing weight at a good pace but she has cut down on food portions as well.
- This consumer reports that she is very active working out regularly and she eats healthy foods. She was losing the belly fat but not as fast as she would have liked to. So she tried this product and said she noticed a decrease in her belly fat. (Again, she was already exercising and eating health foods. She added hydroxycut to the mix and started losing more belly fat. This was in conjunction with what she was already doing. He had no side effects. Clearly, side effects did concern her.
The pattern through these reviews has been that people will lose weight using hydroxycut. But the product is used in combination with working out, cutting food portions and cutting down sugar intake. The one review stated the person lost 3.5 lbs in two weeks. It seemed like this consumer was solely taking hydroxycut by itself. The weight loss was lower and took longer. So, it makes one wonder if such a little increase in a longer time period renders hydroxycut a pretty ineffective weight loss agent.
Again, this consumer took hydroxycut while walking 2-3 miles a day and jogging. They also stated they cook healthy foods and ate drank nothing containing sugar. They ate salads and drank plenty of water. They lost 40 lbs. In 1 1/2 months. This is a good rate of weight loss in a relatively short time. But like in the other cases they augmented hydroxycut with drinking a lot of water, eating healthy, drinking no fluids with sugar in it, and cooking healthy. The product was recommended only if you are willing to work hard at losing the weight. This suggests that hydroxycut isn’t a miracle cure that will help you lose 1000lbs. In one month. You have to supplement it with a healthy lifestyle change or you won’t experience significant weight loss. It seems like the product taken without exercising, drinking healthy drinks, eating healthy foods, and working out and cutting down on food portion sizes; just isn’t very effective as a weight loss treatment.
Generally, this hydroxycut dietary supplement has had a checkered past. It contained ephedra a stimulant banned by the FDA in 2004. The result the company had to reformulate the hydroxycut product. In 2009, the product was recalled because it was causing liver damage in consumers who took it. One consumer died from using this product at about the same time. There have been many reports of this dietary supplement causing some serious side effects. There really hasn’t been any studies done on the composite ingredients in the product simultaneously. There has been studies conducted with the individual ingredients and some studies found these ingredients useless in weight loss treatment. Others found the individual ingredients to have some effect in helping consumers lose weight. So it seems like the negative reviews are more accurate and realistic than the positive reviews considered in this article. The final word is don’t use hydroxycut because there are too many unknowns to effectiveness in helping people lose weight. Its ingredients have been changed a couple of times in the last ten years because of some very serious health issues arising from the use of this product. One death resulted from the person using hydroxycut. This is something to really consider when you are trying to decide if you should use this product or not.