So, pizza is super unhealthy right? Well, it can be depending on your type of base and the toppings you decide to use. If you suffer from issues such as acidity, the crust, cheese and sauces used can irritate the stomach, becoming unsafe for individuals who suffer from acid reflux. One way to combat this side effect of the average pizza is to try tasting the healthier flatbread pizza alternatives, causing less irritation and a better nutritional impact upon the body.
Usually, any store-bought or takeout pizza is full of harmful ingredients that are both processed and unhealthy for your body. It’s no exaggeration to say that some of the sauces on these pizzas have never actually seen a real tomato before! Therefore, what better way is there to enjoy a pizza (minus the damaging contents) than to create your own healthy flatbread version of the food, using fresh and nutrition-packed elements.
So, without further ado, here are our 20 Healthy Flatbread Pizza Recipes that not only taste better than the normal pizza, but also benefit your body more so in terms of potential vitamins, minerals and other nutritional factors that are consumed.
- 1 The Healthy and Tasty Flatbread Pizza Recipes.
- 1.1 Quick and easy 15 minute margherita.
- 1.2 BBQ bacon flatbread pizza.
- 1.3 Grilled flank steak flatbread.
- 1.4 Chicken margherita flatbread pizza.
- 1.5 Flatbread ricotta and broccoli pizza.
- 1.6 Shrimpy flatbread pizza.
- 1.7 The eggplant (or aubergine) flatbread pizza.
- 1.8 Spicy hawaiian pizza on a flatbread.
- 1.9 The pepperoni, courgette and onion flatbread pizza.
- 1.10 The caponata flatbread.
- 1.11 The breakfast flatbread.
- 1.12 Goats cheese, leeks and the mouthwatering merguez sausage.
- 1.13 A chimi pizza.
- 1.14 Clam-chowder flatbread.
- 1.15 Leftover lamb meatball pizza.
- 1.16 Fig and gorgonzola flatbread pizza.
- 1.17 Mini flatbread pizzas.
- 1.18 A ‘rustic’ flatbread pizza recipe.
- 1.19 Chicken, kale and yummy sun dried tomatoes.
- 1.20 Curry crab.
The Healthy and Tasty Flatbread Pizza Recipes.
Quick and easy 15 minute margherita.
You can find the recipe and instructions on how to make here.
The classic margherita ingredients garlic, tomatoes, basil and mozzarella are all combined on a healthy flatbread base in order to create the perfect, and simple, meal for you and your family. As the creator says, ‘you don’t even have to grate your cheese’!
Ingredients to create this tasty dish are as follows:
- 1 naan
- 3 slices of fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1 whole tomato, sliced as thinly as possible
- Around 5 or 6 basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder OR 3 cloves of garlic pressed
- 1 ½ tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 ½ tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- Salt and black pepper to taste
BBQ bacon flatbread pizza.
To find the whole recipe and method used you can visit this website.
If you find yourself with some leftover BBQ sauce and don’t have a clue what to do with it, here is your solution! This delicious and smokey version of the healthy flatbread pizza is the perfect treat for those on a diet, or those looking to stay healthy while still eating good-tasting foods. Why not try adding a handful of pulled pork on top of the creation for an ever better tasting creation, or alternatively some collard greens. Even coleslaw can be added to this incredibly versatile version of the average, everyday pizza.
The ingredients you will need are:
- 1 or 2 flatbread bases
- 1 cup of pulled pork
- ½ cup of cooked crispy bacon pieces
- ½ cup of coleslaw
- ½ cup of collard greens
- 1 cup of your favourite BBQ sauce for the base
- 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
Grilled flank steak flatbread.
This recipe looks absolutely to die for! To find it visit the website SteakBytes and you’ll be pleasantly surprised, no doubt.
As the recipe depicts, you shall need:
- 1 marinated flank steak
- ½ cup of spinach
- 1 cup of shredded cheese, your choice
- ½ cup of thinly sliced tomatoes
- ¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil
- Pizza dough, whichever you choose!
Chicken margherita flatbread pizza.
Follow this link to find the whole recipe and the super awesome method to create it.
This flatbread pizza is one of my personal favourites as it combines chicken with beautiful pesto flavours for the consumer. According to the recipe creator, tossing the chicken beforehand keeps it moist during the time the flatbread is cooking.
You will need:
- 1 flatout artisan pizza crust
- Between 4 and 6 ounces of cooked rotisserie chicken
- 4 tablespoons of pesto
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 6 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 6 sundried tomatoes, sliced
Flatbread ricotta and broccoli pizza.
For the recipe and guide on how to make it, follow this link.
If you’re looking for a SUPER healthy alternative to your average (tasty) pizza, this flatbread based alternative is a brilliant option. Broccoli is full of dietary fibre, vitamin E, B6, B1, magnesium, calcium, niacin, iron and protein too making it the perfect ingredient if you’re on a health kick. This meal, described as rustic by the creator, is the perfect way to still enjoy the tastier foods in life while still maintaining a good nutritional benefit from the food.
So, for this particular recipe you should acquire:
- 1 flatout artisan pizza crust
- ½ cup of whole milk ricotta
- 1 teaspoon of chopped walnuts or pine nuts
- 1 clove of minced garlic
- ⅓ cup of parmesan cheese shavings
- The zest of ½ lemon
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- ½ cup of broccoli sprigs (We here at Balance Me Beautiful recommend you use more, around ⅓ of a cup being the perfect amount in our opinion!)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to season to taste.
Shrimpy flatbread pizza.
To view the original post concerning the ‘Saucy Shrimp Flatbread’ you can visit this website. This recipe originated from an experiment using leftovers -what better way to ensure you don’t waste food items as well as discover new cuisine!
The eggplant (or aubergine) flatbread pizza.
This flatbread recipe is the perfect excuse to use the fantastic vegetable -the aubergine! This vegetable is packed full of vitamins B1, B6, copper, magnesium, potassium, manganese as well as being high in various health-boosting antioxidants. See the full recipe and method here.
Spicy hawaiian pizza on a flatbread.
You can find the full recipe for the perfect mixture of sweet and spicy on a flatbread pizza here.
Although some may be apprehensive, or downright opposed, to the use of pineapple on a pizza this recipe seems to make it acceptable and really delicious too! So, drop your apprehensions, grab the biggest pineapple you can find alongside your flatbread and give this recipe a test.
- 1 flatbread pizza crust
- ¾ cups of shredded pizza cheese (We like mozzarella)
- ½ teaspoon of chili flakes
- ¼ cup of fresh pineapple chunks, relatively small
- ½ cup of whole canned tomatoes
- 3-4 thin slices of your favourite ham
The pepperoni, courgette and onion flatbread pizza.
This recipe requires you to make everything from scratch and therefore has an overall fresher and more homemade feel to the end result. If you’re looking for a pizza-based challenge, or simple enjoy cooking, this recipe is the one for you!
You will need the follow items for the flatbread:
- Plain flour, around 350g
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 150ml to 200ml of warm water
And for the toppings:
- 1 onion, finely sliced/ chopped
- 100g of pepperoni slices
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 courgette , grated
- ½ teaspoon of dried mixed pizza herbs
- 2 garlic cloves, minced and finely chopped
- One 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 balls of mozzarella, torn after being dried
The caponata flatbread.
The website Flatout flatbread provides the decadent vegetarian pizza recipe using very simple and easy to source ingredients.
All you need is:
- 1 flatout flatbread
- ½ cup of ricotta whole milk
- ⅓ cup of parmesan cheese, grated. (More can be used for a garnish)
- ¾ cup of caponata
The breakfast flatbread.
Supposedly the best breakfast in encouraging you to become the best example of a ‘morning person’, get the recipe via this link. We promise you’ll enjoy it!
Goats cheese, leeks and the mouthwatering merguez sausage.
These small but spicy lamb sausages make this pizza the perfect little lamb-love-affair, find them at any speciality or gourmet shop. You can also find the full recipe and method of creation here.
This particular pizza is ideal for those who enjoy big flavour from small meals. The sausage is rich and flavoursome, while the goats cheese exhibits creamy characteristics dulling and spicer tastes from the meat, allowing a smoother consumption. While the various veggies add slight colour, extra nutrition and a strong competing taste against the lamb. You’re sure to enjoy this slightly different pizza recipe on the flatbread in question.
A chimi pizza.
Created by Vanessa from Smart Little Cookie, this recipe is easy to make and definitely not hard to enjoy! The ‘chimi’ is actually a Dominican styled burger which is made and traditionally sold by street vendors in the Dominican Republic, using seasoned beef, onions, tomatoes, cabbage and a mayo and ketchup sauce.
To create you will need:
- 2 cured sausage links
- 1 flatbread
- ¼ cup of tomato sauce/ ketchup
- 1 heaped tablespoon of mayonnaise (We at Balance Me Beautiful like the brand Hellmann’s for this particular recipe.)
- ½ cup of shredded cabbage
- 1 tablespoon of red onions, all diced
- 4 thin slices of tomato
You can find this strange idea for a pizza at: http://www.flatoutbread.com/recipes/boston-clam-chowder-flatbread-pizza/
Leftover lamb meatball pizza.
Using broken up meatballs is a brilliant idea for an original, tasty and somewhat healthy flatbread pizza recipe. Of which you can find via this link.
Fig and gorgonzola flatbread pizza.
Courtesy of this website we have found an interesting and somewhat sophisticated version of the flatbread pizza, using gorgonzola, goats cheese and figs as the three main ingredients.
To create you will need:
- 1 flatbread
- 2 fresh basil leaves
- Balsamic vinegar reduction
- 3 tablespoons of fresh goats cheese
- 2 dried figs
- 3 tablespoons of bacon
- Extra virgin olive oil
Mini flatbread pizzas.
If you’re looking to make tasty treats for the whole family, what is there better to make than these healthy mini flatbread pizzas? Whether it’s your child’s birthday buffet or a simple get together of friends, these mini pizzas are spot-on for all occasions. Learn how to make them at the website ‘Children’s Food Trust’.
For the pizza flatbread base you will need the following ingredients:
- 150g self-raising flour, with extra for light dustings
- Freshly ground black pepper. Added to taste.
- 150g wholemeal self-raising flour
- 300ml of low-fat natural plain yoghurt
To create the pizza’s tomato base sauce you will need:
- 1 red pepper
- 1 medium courgette
- Black pepper, freshly ground. Added to taste.
- 1 medium sized carrot
- 1 medium sized red onion
- 1 (or more) clove of garlic
- Two 5ml spoons of vegetable oil
- One 400g can of chopped tomatoes
- Between 8 and 10 basil leaves
- One 5ml spoon of chili powder
- Two 5ml spoons of balsamic vinegar
Toppings are optional and completely up to you as the consumer!
A ‘rustic’ flatbread pizza recipe.
Found from the website, allrecipes, this particular flatbread pizza recipe can be quite complicated. However, with a keen following of the recipe and careful reading it can be done by almost anyone. Think you’re skilled enough? Give it a go!
Chicken, kale and yummy sun dried tomatoes.
What would any list of healthy recipes be without the mandatory inclusion of kale!? As we’re sure you know by now, kale is full of vitamin A, K, C, B6, manganese, calcium, copper, potassium, riboflavin (B2) and niacin (B3) too making it one of the most healthy and useful veggies that we as humans can consume. It’s no wonder the stuff has been dubbed a superfood! This recipe makes use of the kale fame and includes it as an all-important topping, alongside chicken and those tasty rustic sun dried tomatoes.
Similarly to the clam-chowder flatbread pizza, we’re not so sure on this one either! You can find the absurd recipe here.
In the meantime, here is what you need to create this strange dish:
- 1 flatbread
- 2-3 sprigs of cilantro, fresh
- ½ cup of pizza cheese (Mozzarella is notably tasty on pizzas)
- ½ cup of canned lump crabmeat
- 2 tablespoons of green curry sauce
- 2 scallions, chopped diagonally
By Chess Taylor.