Nerve pain can be debilitating because it feels like the nerves in the affected areas are burning. And how do you really take care of that type of pain? We are talking about nerves here. It is one of the most disruptive pains you can have. And it could be a sign of a much worse condition like diabetes, cancer, HIV, or shingles. It can cause major life changes in people who suffer from nerve pain. Others get despondent and depressed with chronic nerve pain. Nerve pain definitely involves inflammation of the nerves. You get the inflammation taken care of and the nerve pain will dissipate. There are natural remedies out there to help soothe nerve pain.Essential oils are great for nerve pain. . They have been used for therapeutic purposes for centuries. They have so many health benefits to offer. Just lately people are beginning to become aware of the value these essential oils hold. Let us define some terms then we will get to meat of the article on how essential oils can help to treat nerve disorders.
Neuropathy (disease or dysfunction of one or more peripheral nerves, typically causing numbness or weakness.) is never a good condition to have in the nerves. It will cause weakness or numbness in or around the nerves. It is labeled with the disease that will cause the nerves to numb in the affected parts of the body. It hampers the nerves connected to the brain and the outer nerves called peripheral nerves which cover the rest of the body. Peripheral neuropathy occurs when the nerves that connect the rest of the boy to the brain and spinal cord are damaged. This could cause those parts of the body to be paralyzed and may land the recipient of this type of nerve damage in a wheelchair.
This type of neuropathy damage can hinder the functioning of gland or organ function, sensation, and movement. It could disrupt other aspects of your health as well it all depends on which nerves are damaged. Medicine has identified over 100 different types of neuropathy damage and they are classified according to what type of damage nerves have suffered and which nerves have been damaged. One type of damaging neuropathy that is known as,polyneuropathy, immobilizes the outer nerves connecting the whole body. This type of neuropathy occurs when too much glucose accumulates in the blood to the point it clogs the blood vessels that supply blood to the nerves. They became damaged when this happens. Studies predicts that half all the people who have diabetes will develop some type of neuropathy,
Causes for Neuropathy:
- Diabetes is conducive to neuropathy
- People who have HIV
- Chemotherapy drugs given to cancer patients
- People who abuse Alcohol and drugs
- Genetically transferred nerve disorders
- Any types of Autoimmune diseases
- Severe side effects of medications
- People who are exposed to toxic chemicals
- People who suffer from severe infectious diseases
- Unhealthy individuals who have Vitamin deficiencies
- People suffering traumatic physical injuries
- Tumors that are either benign or malignant
There are plenty of conventional neuropathy treatments that will not reverse neuropathy. It cannot be reversed and medicine has found no cure to completely eliminate the nerve damage it causes. Medication can manage the neuropathy not overcome it. Now for essential oil therapy.
Eucalyptus Essential Oil
Eucalyptus oil is very effective in minimizing pain, swelling, and inflammation that can affect or damage nerves. Eucalyptus Essential Oil has properties that fight inflammation in affected nerve areas and they have properties that can protect against muscular spasms. . These properties are ideal for reducing pain and numbness caused by neuropathy.Massage this oil on affected areas and it will soothe nerves and get the blood flowing which always expedites healing.This essential oil is known to in relieve nerve-induced pain and sinus cavity blockage neither one of these conditions is comfortable either.
A study researching the use of eucalyptus essential oil for relief of nerve pain found that breathing in eucalyptus essential oil may assist in relieving pain after surgery. Patients that were given eucalyptus oil after surgery had less pain and reduced blood pressure levels.
It has been suggested that people suffering from colds, flu or any other respiratory issues should breathe in some eucalyptus essential oil deeply to kill pain and unclog sinus cavities. And that ointments with eucalyptus were effective in removing joint and muscle soreness. You may want to try these two options if you ever suffer from sinus infections or have joint or muscular inflammation.
Lavender Essential Oil
The Evidence Based Complementary And Alternative Medicines, suggests that lavender essential oil can be taken out of the context of its traditional use of pain relief and applied to various neurological problems because of its powerful anti-inflammatory properties which can kill neuropathy in affected nerves. It will also calm nerve-related pension.
Bergamot Essential Oil
Bergamot essential oil has effective analgesic and anti-inflammatory ingredients that can reduce a variety of pains that are aggravating to nerves and muscles. These properties can also reduce the symptoms of neuropathy such as the numbness and pain associated with it. You can achieve this solution by trying bergamot essential oil but give it some time to increase the blood circulation in your body before you see any relief rm nerve and muscle pain.
Geranium Essential Oil
Geranium essential oil has strong sedative properties that can eliminate pain in nerves and muscles that are sorely affected. It has other wonderful abilities that include adaptogenic and stimulating characteristics as well as astringent properties. All of these combined together are able to help damaged nerves. In the human body geranium essential oil s able to set off microglial cells which are located throughout the brain and the spinal cord. These cells make up 10 to 15% of the brain. They are the cells that act as the front line defense in the central nervous system. They release proinflammatory weapons that battle inflammation in the neural pathways. Geranium essential oil may be able to assist in healing a variety of nerve damaging diseases.
Tea Tree Essential Oil
There are a lot of people who have used tea tree essential oil to treat their neuropathic pain. They agree that it is able to reduce pain and numbness related to neuropathy. It also may contain effective enough anti-inflammatory and analgesic elements to help stop nerve pain.
Peppermint Essential Oil
Cephalalgia, which is a noted headache society thinks that consuming a combination of peppermint, eucalyptus essential oils and ethanol will (A bad combination) help nerve pain. Mainly peppermint essential oil has anti-inflammatory and analgesic elements that could help to relieve nerve pain. It claims it can also foster positive blood circulation to help ease nerve pain and numbness common symptoms of neuropathy,
Holy Basil Essential Oil
This plant is defined as sacred in the Hindu tradition of India. In their medicine the oil is used on a widespread basis to treat all kinds of health issues. Even nerve damage is treated with it. A study printed in the Journal of Ethnopharmacology, asserts that rats were treated with holy basil essential oil, who had their sciatic nerves severed in half, and after ten days the nerve damage symptoms were minimized and the nerves became more able to receive outside stimuli. This is a very cold-blooded experiment to perform on rats to cut their sciatic nerves in half. This oil has acceptable analgesic, anti-depressant, and anti-spasmodic abilities that can calm and stimulate nerves.
Clove Bud Essential Oil
Medlineplus says that applying a gel with clove leaves five minutes before taking a shot will reduce needle insertion pain as good as benzocaine is able to. Usually clove essential oil is used to eliminate toothache pain and it maybe able to do the same for nerve pain.
The anti-inflammatory properties found in the oil also reduced nerve pain. Whether the it shows promise for human from the results of the rat study remains to be seen. There has not been any studies conducted on humans.
Rosemary Essential Oil
Rosemary essential oil can calm neuropathy nerve pain with its adequate analgesic, antidepressant, digestive and nervine elements. The oil can remove nerve pain and remove lactic acid. Furthermore, it will enhance blood circulation and calm muscle fibers. You can try massaging your damaged nerves with this oil as it may be able to relieve the pain.
Clary Sage Essential Oil
This oil has some decent antispasmodic and sedative elements that can help damaged nerves. Don’t forget it also has nervine properties to help with the nerve damage. The essential oil is historically used to relieving headaches, back pain, muscle stiffness and cramps.
Nutmeg Essential Oil
You maybe able to use this essential oil for treating nerve and muscular pain with accompanying inflammation. According to folklore medicines, nutmeg essential oil is used as a painkiller to treat menstrual discomfort. This may not be a valid health benefit for this oil. It is able to calm because of its sedative properties.
Essential Oil Recipes for Nerve Pain
Essential Oil Compress
- Using essential in doing a hot or cold compress is very effective for managing neuropathy symptoms.
- Doing a hot compress with essential oil help in boosting blood circulation; the cold compress will reduce pain and inflammation.
- You can add few drops of your preferred essential oil or oil blend in the hot or cold water that you are going to use for the compress. Alternatively, you can massage the desirable essential oil on the affected areas and then follow it with a cold or hot compress.
Essential Creams And Lotion Recipes
- You can either buy or make your own creams or lotions with desirable essential oils, and use it to apply on areas of the body that have damaged nerves.
- To make the essential oil cream, add few drops suitable essential oils in any of the good cold cream that you use. You can make the lotion by adding essential oils in Shea Butter or carrier oils.
Essential Oil Massage Recipe
- Use the essential oil or oil blends to massage the numb and painful areas of the body. It is important to dilute the essential oils in a carrier oil before you use them directly on the skin.
Essential Oil Aromatherapy Recipe
- Aromatherapy using essential oils will go a long way in relieving stress and tension and you will be rewarded with a pain-free night of sleep. It will help to alleviate numbness and pain that typically comes with neuropathy.
- You can either inhale them directly or use a diffuser.
Essential Oil Bath Recipe
- Add few drops of desirable essential oils to the warm water in the bathtub or the water you use for bathing. It relaxes the body and calms the nerves.
- Soaking yourself in the warm water treated with essential oils reduces the pain and numbness caused by neuropathy. Let the essential oil bath last for at least 15 minutes to get the fullest benefit of the treatment.
Tips for handling Nerve Damage
- Essential oils cannot permanently heal neurotherapy they only provide temporary relief. To be effective you need to use them all the time.
- Essential oils are potent plant extracts and need to always be diluted with carrier oil. Never use them in pure form because you will irritate your skin if you do
- Use a combination of essential oils to treat neuropathy because using just one essential oil will deprive you of benefits other oils have to offer.
- Use only high grade therapeutic essential oils for treatments.
- Essential oils are part of the treatment not the whole treatment for nerve damage.
- Experiment with blends of essential oils until you find the right blend that eases your nerve pain
Chamomile Essential Oil
- Chamomile essential oil has good analgesic elements that help to soothe the pain brought on by inflamed muscles and joints. Inflamed joints can be especially pain racking. The oil’s calming properties are good for all kinds of back trouble, pinched sciatic nerve pain and headaches
- Camomile essential oil has a very soothing effect on the digestive tract which is highly unusual.
- The plant contains flavonoids that have anti-inflammatory properties. The flavonoids penetrate the skin deeply to eliminate inflammation pain. It also can help with digestive issues and best of all it relaxes the muscles in the intestines.
- Chamomile essential oil can relieve many ailments in all parts of the body. It can soothe hemorrhoids and rheumatic pain caused by arthritis. It will cool muscular spasms and back pain. Try it for eczema and stomach cramps as well.
- To use chamomile oil for pain relief, add a few drops of the essential oil to a carrier oil, such as coconut oil, olive oil or sweet almond oil and massage the sore muscle or the painful joint. You can also add a few drops of chamomile essential oil to your diffuser. Inhale the therapeutic vapors deeply for around 15 minutes until your headache or migraine pain has eased or gone away completely.”
Sweet Marjoram Essential Oil
Marjoram oil can help with many different kinds of pain including nerve pain. Due to its anti-inflammatory properties.
Study conducted using chamomile essential pain found that it was the best oil to use in combination with marjoram, black pepper, lavender, and peppermint this blend was found to every effective in relieving chronic back pain. One group was rubbed with the essential oils in the affected area. The other group was massaged with placebo cream. The essential oil group reported much better improvement than the placebo group.
Marjoram Essential oil Recipe for a toothache
- Marjoram is also a good essential oil to relieve toothache if you place a drop or two directly on and around the sore tooth. If you find it too potent, mix the sweet marjoram oil with a half teaspoon of olive oil and use a cotton ball or your finger to access the painful tooth.
Thyme Essential Oil
Thyme essential oil coaches, muscles pains, or inflammation in joints because of its powerful anti-inflammatory properties. It can also help with acute and chronic pain.
There you have a list of top essential oils that can make chronic nerve pain manageable and bearable for anyone who has this type of pain. It does not matter what area of the body is affected one of the essential oils can help with that annoying nerve pain. There are also methods you can apply personally to any area of your body that is racked with nerve pain. You just need to pick out which essential oil will meet your needs and which method will work best for your particular nerve pain.
Remember that essential oils are part of the solution to eliminating nerve pain not the final answer. And you must use any essential oil therapy on a continual basis to experience any relief from nerve pain. In the final analysis if you have any doubts about using essential oil therapy than consult with your health care professional.