Think about it who wants to walk around looking like a raccoon or like someone has two black eyes. I’m referring to having two deep, dark, and black circles around or under the eyes. You know what I mean like a cartoon character looks like after he has walked into a doorknob once or twice. The next issue is how are black circles formed? Is it heredity or is it a lack of sleep? Or could it be broken blood vessels under the eyes? Also, who wants to look like a bullseye target with two black circles around their eyes. What are you supposed to do? Hang a sign around your neck that says “Hit the bullseye”? I don’t think so and I don’t think you do either. Let’s great to the matter at hand. How to use DIY remedies to get rid of black circles around or under the eyes.
There are a few reasons why people get dark circles under their eyes. It’s caused by allergies, lack of sleep, (which is easy to treat), oversleeping, and nasal congestion can cause the blood vessels that drain to dilate. If this happens your eyes will darken. But there is help to eliminate dark circles under the eyes whatever the cause. Here are so more causes:
- We get older our skin becomes thinner
- Iron deficiency can prevent blood from carrying enough oxygen to eye tissues
- Minor trauma can cause the appearance of a black eye
- Lifestyle-when people abuse cocaine, amphetamines,coffee all these substances can cause a lack of sleep which will result in black circles under the eyes,
- Smoking or drinking will cause black circles under the eyes
- Fluid retention through weight gain or pregnancy will bring about black circles under the eyes
- Skin pigmentation irregularities will cause the blood vessels around your eyes to show because the skin is thinner around the eyes
- Too much sun exposure will stimulates your body to produce more melanin which will result in black circles under the eyes
- Mononucleosis will cause your eyes to become swollen and puffy this is due partly to the fatigue people feel from the sickness and partly because the eyes causes the yellowing of the eyes and the skin around the eyes. (Jaundice)
- Periorbital cellulitis is a bacterial infection of the eyelid or eyelids. It’s harmless if the infection is treated promptly
- Too much salt will cause fluid retention throughout the whole body including under your eyes
Depending on the cause of the black eyes will determine the type of remedy to use for curing the condition.
The all powerful almond oil can help fade black circles around the eyes. Regular application of it is extremely help to the delicate skin under the eyes. Vitamin E is another health agent to eliminate black circles under the yes. These are steps:
- Before you go to bed apply some almond oil to the black circles under the eyes. Softly massage it into the affected areas.
- Leave it on overnight
- In the morning wash it off with warm water
- Apply this treatment daily until the black rings have been eliminated
Cucumbers have natural but mild astringent properties as well as skin-lightening abilities that can fade black circles under the eyes. They also have a soothing and cooling effect.
- Cut the cucumbers into small slices and chill tem for 30 minutes. Take the slices and apply them directly to the affected areas. Leave them on the areas for 10 minutes. Wash the area with water. What we are really saying here is take the cucumber slices and put them directly over your eyes. Do this twice daily for a week or more.
- Option two is to mix cucumber juice with lemon juice together in equal parts. Take a cotton ball and apply the mixture directly to the affected areas and leave it on there for 15 minutes. Try this remedy for once a day for at least one week.
Raw Potato are You Sure
Believe it or not potatoes have lightening agents that can remove black circles from under the eyes. It can also reduce the puffiness under the eyes. Here’s how:
- Grate one or two potatoes and extract the juice. Soak a cotton ball in the juice and place it over your closed eyes. Be sure the juice covers the eyelids as well as where the black circles are under your eyes. Let the juice sit on these areas for a solid 10 to 15 minutes. Rinse and we mean rinse your eyes out thoroughly with cool water. Repeat this procedure once or twice daily for a few weeks.
- Instead of potato juice you can place thick potato slices over the eyes to get rid of dark circles. Use the same procedure to rinse the potato out of the your eyes. Use the time schedule mentioned above to try this remedy.
Sweet Rose Water
Did you think rose water wouldn’t be mentioned in this article? Rose water has very good ingredients for skin care. It not only rejuvenates the skin but it soothes tired eyes. It’s mild astringent properties make it a great skin toner. The process:
- Soak eye cotton pads in pure rose water for a few minutes.
- Apply the soaked cotton pads to your closed eyes
- Leave them on for about 15 minutes
- Follow this procedure twice a day for a few weeks
No, don’t get the hamburgers out. But tomatoes have great bleaching properties which can lighten your skin noticeably,
- Mix one teaspoon of tomato juice with ½ teaspoon of lemon juice. Gently apply this solution to the dark circles under the eyes. Let the mixture sit for about 10 minutes and then rinse off with water. Apply this treatment twice a day for a few weeks. You can use tomato juice by itself if you prefer.
- Another option is to drink tomato juice with some mint leaves, salt and lemon juice.Drink the juice as soon as you make it. Drink this juice once or twice a day for a week.
Zesty Lemon Juice
The Vitamin C present in Lemon juice can help lighten the black circles under your eyes. Due to its skin-lightening properties.
- Use a cotton ball to apply the lemon juice around the eyes. Leave it on for about 10 minutes and then rinse off and do this once daily for a few weeks.
- Make a thick paste by mixing one tablespoon of lemon juice with two tablespoons tomato puree, a pinch of gram flour (besan), and turmeric powder. Apply this thick paste around the eyes gently and leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes. Rinse it off and apply this treatment two or three times every week until the black circles are gone. *If the lemon juice causes a burning sensation stop using it.
Crack that Coconut Oil
Massaging with coconut oil is another good way to lighten dark circles under the eyes. Because of its moisturizing qualities coconut oil can provide smooth skin and prevents wrinkles and fine lines under the eyes.
- Massage some extra-virgin coconut oil under the eye area
- Leave it on for a few hours and, then wash it off
- Repeat this procedure two or three times a day for a few months or until you are happy with the results
Tea Bags Galore
The caffeine and antioxidants in tea can help remove black circles and puffiness under the eyes by shrinking blood vessels and reducing water retention. The tannins specifically, help reduce swelling and discoloration under the eyes.
- Chill two green or black tea bags in the refrigerator for about a half of an hour
- Place one tea bag over each eye (yes that is right over each eye) leave them on your eyes for 10 to 15 minutes
- Remove the teabags and rinse out the eyes
- Repeat once or twice a week until the dark circles are gone
Keep the tea out of your eyes
Chilly Cold Compress
A cold compress can constrict the blood vessels under the eyes and reduce eye pufiness and dark black circles
- Soak a washcloth in cold water or cold milk and place it over the eyelids (closed eyelids) for several minutes
- You can also wrap a few ice cubes in a towel and put it under the eyes. Keep them there for a few minutes or you can use a bag of frozen peas, a teabag or a cold spoon.Whatever method you choose be careful using them on your eyes.
Turn it up With Turmeric Powder
Turmeric powder has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties which can help minimize dark circles. It will also make the skin around the eyes softer and smoother.
- Mix two teaspoons each of turmeric powder with pineapple juice to make a thick paste.
- Apply this paste to the affected area.
- Leaving it on for 10 minutes and then wipe it off with a damp cloth
- Do this daily until you get positive results
More Tips to Prevent Black circles under the eyes
- Get enough rest and sleep
- Avoid rubbing the eyes too much or too often because this will dilate the blood vessels under the eyes making the dark circles under the eyes look darker
- Remove your makeup before you go to bed the makeup could irritate your eyes
- Limit sun exposure
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day to get rid of water retention that could be causing the black circles under the eyes
- To avoid eye bags caused by pooling fluids in your lower eyelids, elevate your head by adding one or two pillows under your head to elevate the head before you go to sleep
- Watch what you eat and eat plenty of foods with Vitamins A, C, and E
- Stop smoking and reduce alcohol and caffeine consumption; smoking damages skin cells and alcohol and caffeine contribute to dehydration which in turns weakens the delicate skin around the eyes
Tame those Allergies
You know about allergies firing up during the allergy season and with that season comes watery and puffy eyes. Try natural remedies such as essential oils to curb allergies and try to manage and stop them before they start. You can also carry a vial of allergy essential oil to stop allergies when they sneak up on you. Sometimes you can be caught off guard by allergies so be prepared.
Cool the Salt
Too much salt consumption can lead to high blood pressure as well as too much sodium in the system. Excess sodium in your body leads to water retention which can cause puffiness around the eyes. If you use salt it’s recommended you use pure Himalayan salt and only a bit. Avoid high salty foods like pizza and some soups. Eat fresh vegetables (especially celery) which will reduce the urge for salt.
Work off those bags
Did you know you can do eye exercises to get rid of those dark rings under your eyes? These exercises will promote a youthful glow to the skin especially the areas around the eyes. They will slow the signs of aging. Using light pressure from your fingers to perform these different facial exercises and various pressure points around the eyes.
Neti Pot may Work
A neti pot looks like a small teapot that holds water. It helps to flush out extra moisture in your sinuses from seasonal colds, allergies, and infections. Let some salt water run up one side of your nostril and simply out the other nostril. It supposedly feels weird at first but it cleanses the nasal passage of extra moisture.
This is a temporary solution and really will not get rid of the black circles under the eyes. Use mineral-based options or if you are adventurous you can make your own at home. Whatever option you use don’t apply too much concealer under your eyes. You can make the black circles look more prominent if you do. You can also cause eye irritation. Pat it lightly around the eyes and don’t rub it in. Try to choose a color that will match your natural skin tone color.
Natural all the Way
Collagen, a protein, diminishes in our bodies as we age. Lack of collagen will cause dehydration of the skin. We need to keep the area around our eyes moisturized. Eye creams will help do this. The skin becomes dehydrated and thins out causing blood vessels to appear as black circles under the eyes. Keeping the skin moisturized will prevent the the skin from becoming dehydrated. Apply the eye cream in the morning and at night. You can also rely on lavender, rosehip oil, lemon essential oils, and aloe vera will help lower inflammation from around the eyes. These oils will help to regenerate the skin around the eyes.
Collagen as we mentioned previously is a protein. It’s the most abundant protein found in our bodies. It’s found in our bones,muscles, tendons, and skin. As we mentioned before as we age collagen production slows down. Once this happens black circles will for under the eyes. Increasing the collagen production through chicken broth soup or collagen supplements will help keep the skin under the eyes firm and the cells will keep regenerating. Say goodbye to those dark bags under the eyes.
Yes, the good old apple can help to eliminate dark circles under the eyes. Apples contain tannic acid which lightens the skin. Apples also are rich in vitamins A and C which keep the skin nourished. Here are two ways to use apples to get rid of dark circles under the eyes:
- Cut a ripe apple into thick pieces.
- Apply to the affected area for 30 minutes and rinse with cold water.
- Repeat regularly until results are visible.
- Boil a green apple until the top layer becomes soft.
- Apply to the affected area for 30 minutes and rinse with lukewarm water.
- Repeat regularly until results are visible
Dark Chocolate Maybe
This method may or may not work. There is no clinical evidence to support this theory. It’s said that if you eat a lot of dark chocolate, it contains flavonols, the dark chocolate will protect your skin from harmful the harmful effects of UV radiation or sunlight. This will slow down the aging process which will retard the forming of black circles under the eyes.
Time to Say Goodbye
Black circles under the eyes can be embarrassing to look at. You feel like a racoon with those two black eyes. But there are home remedies available that can legitimately help you get rid of those black rings under your eyes. We shared some of the more common ones in this article with you. Some of the ingredients in these treatments have proven agents in them that will lighten black circles under the eyes. One of the methods mentioned above may be a stretch and not worth trying. So, feel free to pick out the best method that will work for you. You then can say goodbye to raccoon eyes forever!