Vanilla essential oil is not a well-known essential oil. But it may have many valuable benefits we don’t know about. Just think we may have been missing all these great benefits all this time. Vanilla essential oil could become a super essential oil. Vanilla is a popular flavor today among cake and dessert lovers today. It is said that vanilla has been around for centuries. The vanilla ice cream and cakes we love so much come from vanilla extract which is produced from vanilla beans. The bean are sun-dried pods obtained from the orchids of the genus Vanilla. Its great sweet and amazing taste as well as its nice aroma make it a favorite ingredient in sweet drinks and confectioneries.
The vanilla plant is an herbaceous climbing vine which requires a supporting tree or pole to support the vine for optimal growth. It has trumpet-shaped flowers which are naturally pollinated by bees and humming bees. They are also pollinated by hand. Unripe yellow vanilla pods grow to 5 to 8 inches long and they will turn yellow. They are ready to be harvested. (The beans are acquired through a very labor-intensive process.) They are then blanched (make white or pale by extracting color; bleach.) in boiling water, sweated and sun dried for a few weeks until they turn dark brown and wrinkled. Next, the white crystalline essence known as vanillin are extracted from some superior quality beans. This essence is known as vanilla flavor.
The most common form of vanilla is vanilla extract which is made by percolating chopped vanilla beans in ethyl alcohol and water for about 48 hours. The mixture is then stored for several months and then filtered. There are many vanilla flavors on the market today but Madagascar vanilla is the most widely used. This rich sweet variety accounts for 75% of the vanilla production while the remaining comprises of vanilla from Tahiti and Mexico.
Furthermore, the vanilla pods are filled with tiny black seeds that flavor many sweet dishes and chocolates. Vanillin is a natural flavor from the vanilla tree but it is also artificially manufactured from wood pulp products. The vanilla flavoring is often a blend of pure and imitation vanilla. The appearance of tiny black specks in a vanilla flavored dish is an indication of pure vanilla.Some benefits of vanilla essential oil.
1. Acne Buster
This may sound strange but vanilla can help the skin. It is an ingredient in many skincare products including body lotions, lip balms, body butters and creams to impart fragrance. It can also help with acne which is a big surprise. The antibacterial properties make vanilla essential oil a wonderful agent to treat acne. The antibacterial properties of vanilla essential oil cleanse skin preventing pimples and acne from appearing on the skin.
2. Never Grow Old
Vanilla essential oil is rich in antioxidants which will always reverse damage caused by free radicals. It slows down the aging process by reducing fine lines, wrinkles and age spots. The cosmetic industry uses it heavily for anti-aging methods and for its fragrance.
Applying raw vanilla beans infused with organic oil imparts a great chocolaty fragrance besides making your skin smooth and soft. It will also keep the skin clean and clear.
3. What Burns
It will even soothe burns. Vanilla essential oil is an ancient remedy to heal heal burns, wounds and cuts. Concentrated vanilla essential oil should not be applied directly to recent burns it could cause some immense pain. Topical treatments of vanilla essential oils applied lightly to burns may help. Consult your doctor before you apply any of the vanilla essential oil home remedies.
4. Shine on that Skin
Vanilla is a good source of B-vitamins like niacin, thiamin, Vitamin B6 and pantothenic acid which play a pivotal role in the care of healthy skin. The antioxidant properties of vanilla essential oil will protect your skin from damage caused by pollutants and toxins. The damage these two can cause are questionable. How can the damage of pollutants and toxins be empirically measured?
All you need to do is slice open 5 vanilla beans to scrape out its seeds. Add these seeds along with 3 tablespoons brown sugar and 2 drops vanilla essential oil to freshly squeezed lemon juice. Mix the ingredients and apply it on your face. Massage for a few minutes and then rinse off with warm water. Then, splash some cold water on your face.
5. Hair Revival
Did you know vanilla essential oil can benefit hair? Vanilla essential oil mixed with other ingredients will leave your hair looking brilliant and shiny.
You can prepare a hair pack for this purpose. Melt about 4 oz. shea butter in a boiler. After it has fully melted, add 5 drops of vanilla essential oil and 2 tablespoons each of almond, jojoba and castor oils. After cooling, blend this mixture until it achieves a softer consistency. You can apply this mixture on your hair for 10 to 15 minutes and wash off with a mild shampoo. This will make your hair soft and manageable without making it sticky. This mixture can be stored at room temperature or refrigerated for future use.
6. What Hair Loss
Both carrier oils and essential oils can be mixed with vanilla essential oil to combine for a powerful hair growth treatment.
To begin with, detangle your hair with a wide-toothed comb and rinse it thoroughly with warm water. Use a thin-toothed comb if your hair is already very thin. After this, warm ¼ cup of any carrier oil such as virgin olive, jojoba, almond or coconut oil on high heat for about 30 seconds. Add 10 drops each of lavender and vanilla essential oils to it and mix thoroughly. Applying this on your hair from the roots to the ends, massage your scalp in circular motions for 2 to 3 minutes. Ensure to apply it along the full length of your hair strands, concentrating more on the dry ends. Fasten your hair with a hair clip and wrap a warm towel around your head. Leave for 15 minutes. Then again wrap a warm towel for another 15 minutes. Wash off with a mild shampoo.The quantity of oil that you use depends upon your hair texture. This will make your hair softer, fuller and shinier besides imparting an amazing scent.
7. Mood Lifter
Vanilla essential oil may be able to treat anxiety and depression. Various neurological studies have shown that vanilla essential oil can help patients suffering from depression and anxiety disorders. Smelling the vanilla essential oil scent can help relieve anxiety and in some people sipping water or milk containing vanilla extract helps reduce anxiety. This will not work for everyone.Memorial Sloan-Kettering Hospital in New York conducted studies that showed that vanilla essential oil aromatherapy can help people suffering from claustrophobia.
8. Weight Reducer
Some studies claim vanilla essential oil can help people lose weight. Even though exercise and diet are the main catalysts for weight loss the effort can be benefitted by consuming vanilla essential oil. Further research is needed to prove this health claim. Currently, there is not enough evidence available to show that vanilla essential oil can help you lose weight.
9. Nausea annihilator
Vanilla essential oil is a great way to cure a stomach ravaged by nausea.
All you need to do is add a few drops of vanilla essential to a glass of water and sip it slowly. The amazing vanilla scent will help to relieve the feeling of nausea. In fact, it is as good as any nausea medicines and can effectively substitute them.
10. Cough! Cough!
It is reported that vanilla essential oil can help stop coughs. Cough syrups often contain vanilla essential oils as a flavoring to mask their bitter taste. Though further research is needed in this regard, the mild anaesthetic properties of vanilla extract can relieve symptoms such as pain from a sore throat or headache.This has yet to be definitely proven.
11. Dental Care
Vanillin in vanilla is similar to capsaicin in chilli peppers and eugenol in spices such as cinnamon. But being able to help with dental health may be a stretch. This compound may a positive effect on the central nervous system. Capsaicin is an effective pain reliever while eugenol act as topical anaesthetic. Vanilla possesses both these properties which help fight toothache and infection. It is hard to believe that vanilla essential oil can fight tooth, gum and mouth infections. Or relieve toothache pain. Usually antibiotics are used for these dental conditions.
Vanilla Cream Lotion Bar Delight Recipe
- 3 tablespoons (45g) Shea Butter
- 1 tablespoon (15g) grated Cocoa Butter
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) Virgin Coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) Sweet Almond oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Vitamin E (or 1 capsule)
- 1 teaspoon (5g) Honey Powder OR confectioners (icing) sugar
- 6 drops Vanilla Absolute Essential Oil
- Put about an inch (2.5cm) of water in the bottom of a medium-sized pot and heat to a low simmer.
- Place the cocoa butter, shea butter and coconut oil in a large heat-proof glass measuring cup (such as Pyrex.) Place the measuring cup in the water and warm slowly over a low heat until the butters are melted.
- Stir in the almond oil.
- Remove from heat. Drop in the vanilla essential oil and whisk briskly to incorporate it into the liquid. Whisk in the Vitamin E and honey powder or sugar.
- Pour the hot massage oil lotion into small silicone soap molds or a silicone muffin tin. Let cool. When they’re completely cool, remove them from the molds and wrap them in plastic until you’re ready to use. Enjoy!
- This massage oil lotion bar recipe makes approximately 4oz.
12. Sleeping Wonder
It is claimed that as a result of vanilla essential oil treating depression and anxiety disorders that it well help the body to relax and you will sleep better at night. This needs further research this has not been a proven benefit of vanilla essential oil. It is supposed to have tranquilizing effects on the brain to help you sleep better. No proof for this exists. Further research must be done to confirm this claim.
13. Helps Ease Menstrual Complications
It may be an unknown fact that by using vanilla essential oil on a regular basis may regulate menstruation. This is a hard one to accept because there is no clinical support to verify this claim. Vanilla essential oil may not have strong enough properties to be able to control menstruation. It may seem frivolous to think that a essential oil can control a natural biological process as menstruation.
14. Antibacterial Hero
Now, it is claimed that vanilla essential oils can inhibit certain bacteria from forming and growing in the human body. This is what one study has concluded. This is hard to believe even with vanilla essential oil’s antibacterial properties. These properties certainly do not seem strong enough to inhibit bacteria from entering the body.
Consider the quality of essential oils before you purchase. Since you will be using essential oils on your body and around your home, it is in your best interest to select high quality essential oils. There is no standard of quality that all essential oil companies must abide by, so you will have to consider several things before you buy an essential oil.
- Have you heard of the company and/or used their products before? Only purchase vanilla essential oils from reputable companies.
- Is the price of the vanilla essential oil comparable to other similar products or much cheaper? Be wary of cheap vanilla essential oils because they may not be pure.
- Does the bottle list the Latin name for the plants used to make the va essential oil and/or the country of origin? These details indicate that the company caters to knowledgeable consumers and is therefore more trustworthy.
- Does the packaging have a statement about purity? Look for products that contain 100% essential oil and steer clear of ones that contain less or that do not provide a percentage.
- How does the product smell? If the product does not smell like you expect it to smell, then it might not be a quality product.
- Does the packaging include a statement about organic growing practices or “wildcrafting”? If not, then the plants used to make the oil may have been mass produced and/or sprayed with pesticides, so you may want to avoid these products.
Vanilla Scented Perfume
- 8 to 10 vanilla beans
- Approximately 1 ounce jojoba oil
1) Cut the vanilla beans open and scrape out the paste.
- To create the vanilla essence for the perfume, you need fresh vanilla beans. Use a sharp knife to cut 8 to10 beans open lengthwise so you expose the paste inside.
- Scrape the paste out of the beans with the knife, and chop the bean shells into pieces. Place both the paste and chopped shells in a small glass jar that has a lid.
- Vanilla beans can be fairly expensive, so it’s usually best to buy them in bulk. You can make larger batches of perfume and give it as gifts for special occasions.
- Scraping the paste out of more beans means you’ll create a more intense vanilla essence. However, if the beans are large, you may only need 8 or so.
2) Pour the vodka over the vanilla bean paste.
- After you’ve scraped out the vanilla bean paste and chopped up the shells, add vodka to the glass jar.
- You should pour enough liquid to cover the paste and chopped shells completely, with approximately ¼-inch (6.35-mm) more on top of the vanilla beans.
- Be sure to use vodka that’s at least 70 proof.
3) Infuse the vodka with the vanilla for at least several weeks.
- When the vanilla bean paste and shells and vodka are mixed, cover the jar
- Store it in a cool, dark location for three weeks to three months. The fragrance will come out of the vanilla bean paste and shells to scent and color the vodka.
- The longer you allow the vanilla to infuse the vodka, the stronger your perfume’s fragrance will be.
- Check on the essence periodically while it’s steeping to analyze the scent and color. When the vanilla scent is strong and the color is rich and dark, the essence is ready.
- Shake the mixture every so often while it’s steeping to ensure that the scent is distributed throughout the liquid.
4) Test the scent of the liquid on your skin.
- Even if the vanilla essence smells and looks right, it’s important to test it out before you make the perfume oil. Dab a small amount of the liquid on the inside of your wrist, and allow it to dry for 5 to 10 seconds. Smell it, and if you’re happy with the scent, you can mix up the perfume oil.
- If the vanilla fragrance isn’t strong enough when you test it on your skin, leave the mixture to steep for longer.
5) Stretch nylon stocking or cheesecloth over a glass jar.
- Find a clean glass jar that you want to store your perfume in, and place a piece of nylon stocking or cheesecloth over the opening. Make sure the nylon or cheesecloth piece is long enough to hang over the sides, so you can secure the fabric with a rubber band or piece of string
- Make sure sure that the jar or container you choose for your perfume has a lid for airtight storage.
6) Strain the vanilla essence through the material.
- When the nylon or cheesecloth is secured over the top of the jar, pour the vanilla and vodka mixture through the fabric. That will catch any vanilla bean residue or particles to strain them from the vanilla essence.
- You can save the leftover vanilla residue and use it for more perfume in the future. Store it in an airtight jar, and add some fresh vanilla bean paste and shells to it when you’re ready to make a new batch.
7) Add jojoba oil to the jar with the vanilla essence.
- With the vanilla essence in the perfume jar or container, pour in approximately 1 ounce (30 ml) of jojoba oil. There should be double the amount of oil as there is vanilla essence, so you may need to use more or less of the oil, depending on how much essence you wind up with.
- You can substitute sweet almond oil for the jojoba oil if you prefer.
8) Shake the jar to combine the oil and vanilla.
- To ensure that the vanilla essence is completely mixed with the oil, place the lid on the jar and shake it gently. The two may separate when you store the perfume oil, so be sure to shake it before each use.
9) Store the perfume in a cool, dark place.
- Once the oil and vanilla essence are mixed, the perfume oil is ready to use. When you’re not using it, keep the jar in a cool, dark to help preserve it.
- The perfume oil should be good for approximately 3 to 4 months if stored properly.
We have identified some valuable benefits and uses for vanilla essential oil. It is our purpose that you will find this information useful to help improve your life by reading the information contained in this article.